Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Van De Graaff Annual Reunion and Mud Run

 We love the Van De Graaffs!  We were so blessed to live right next door to our amazing friends during dental school and our friendships will last for a lifetime.  We were so lucky to have them come to our neck of the woods and see what Lufkin is like.  Ashlyn was telling me that she sees them as our cousins than friends.  All the girls were so sad to see them leave.  Our house was full of laughter, fun, mess, and chaos, but it was coupled with memories and strengthen friendships.
It was so fun to watch the kids just love to play with each other.  We had many times that we reminised on stories from the past, but also made some more wonderful memories.  We really are lucky to have these guys in our life.


Look how much our kids have grown and have some more additions to this clan.
I was a little nervous when the weather was to be raining the whole time they were here, but it turned out to be great.  I was so happy that we weren't couped up in the house with 11 kiddos ha ha.


 We took them to our family fave: zoo walk and park. 

Swim TIme

We found a frog.

It is fun to see where our journeys have lead us to.  Just a few years ago Derek and Steve were sitting in our living room in Omaha evaluating dental practices to decide which ones they would be interested in buying.  

The girls' party room- they were so excited for their sleepover with Hailey and Penny.

Some of the time it was rainy outside and they played a lot of games.


Meal time!



Emmett loved the chaos!



We had to go to Chick-fil-A for dinner.  It was a place that Mindy and I would take our kids once a week so we could chat and the kids could play.  Chick-fil-A is part of our memories together.




Building forts


Ashlyn and Hailey


Outside fun!




On our zoo walk it started downpouring.  It was fun to find shelter under the playground. We tried to all huddle under in this spot, but only so many bodies can fit. ha ha. 





Ashlyn is so creative.  She has her daddy's creativity and when she sees a problem, she finds a solution. 

These cuties playing on Brinley's top bunk.

Precious Boy



Derek and I got front row seats to this amazing concert.  This is a spot that they love to sing and make up plays for us.  We got some great talent in this family.

This girl learned to tie her shoes!


80 Day Obsession Victory!
I have been exercising for 3 months with this intense program on Beachbody where it is heavy weightlifting program an hour a day 6 days a week.  I was so thrilled to accomphlish this with my sister.  I lost a few pounds, but I have lost a lot of inches.  I was so excited because I am so much stronger and have done hard things.  Way to go ME!!!!


We got a special card from Grandma and Grandpa when they were in Hawaii.


I love how much my girls love to do homework!


These girls have the most caring and kind dad.  Everyone came in from swimming and Derek just cuddled up with Ashlyn and talked and swang.  I was taking care of the other kids inside when I looked out the window and saw this...
My heart just melts.

 This girl is so beautiful inside and out.  
She had activity days and they were watching a movie and getting their hair and nails done.  Well when I dropped her off the movie was more teen like and I didn't recognize it.  I am cautious what my kids watch and because I didn't know the movie I lingered out the door debating if I should take Ashlyn home or not. I went home (I love living next to the church) and told Derek and he told me to do what I feel is right.  So I went back to the church and pulled Ashlyn out and we had an amazing lesson about movies and walking out if you don't feel comfortable.  We talked about the how the Holy Ghost speaks to us and the feelings we experience.  Ashlyn told me that she felt that bad feeling before and this movie was ok and she didn't feel that.  I was so happy that we could have this discussion because this is the first of many that we will experience throughout the years to come.  I sat outside the door, just in case she didn't feel comfortable and I would be right there for her. 
This experience was great for me because it helped me recognize how mature Ashlyn is and how I trust in her decisions.  After we had our "teaching moment" Ashlyn gave me a big hug and kiss and said with a huge smile, "I love you Mom."  

Seriously... she is a beauty.  She looked so beautiful with her hair done and she didn't like it at all.  I attempted to take many pictures of her without success. 







This girl loves Mommy School.  She looks forward to it everyday and so do I.


Swim season is in full swing at our house!


 This guy LOVES the water... he is our merman.



Ashlyn got new shoes for her dance rectial next month.

This guy is starting to walk.  He has been holding himself up for awhile now, but he has been taking a few steps.


 We have been playing outside and this guy found is spot.  He loves playing in the sand area.


Derek and I were asked a few months ago if we wanted to run the Mud Run with the Grisel family and my first thought was, "I can't do that.  That is so out of my comfort zone." Right then I realized that because it is out of my comfort zone, I need to do it.  So we signed up and we are so glad we did.  WE HAD A BLAST!  It was so much fun!  We swam in mud that was up to my waist, threw an axe, jumped over logs, clumbed ropes, went down a mudslide, running in the forest, and much more.  To top off the event, while we were running in the mud it was downpouring.  This is going to become an annual event for our family and we will bring the two older girls.




Before the run!






No comments:

Post a Comment