Thursday, August 20, 2020

UTAH- traveling during COVID-19

This trip was a little different than ever before with COVID and the mask requirements.  All the kids were great troopers to keep their masks on during the whole adventure at the airport.  Here we are on the shuttle bus heading to Utah!


We love how Nana and Grandpa are always the first people we see when we arrive.  When we see their smiling faces and are greeted with big hugs, we feel like we are home!  We are so lucky!
We went to a park to hang out with them for awhile before heading to the Martinson's side of the family.  Grandpa and Nana can make the simple moment into something memorable.



Ashlyn enjoys reading and she is sharing her passion with Grandma Lewis.



Lookie Lookie at all these cousins.
It just brings me so much joy to see the kids play and make fun memories with their cousins.
It is a good looking bunch!



One of the girls' favorite activities is to call Grandma from a cell phone.  Grandma is determined to have them memorize her number so they can reach her at anytime.



Donuts aren't really a temptation for me, but when it comes to Dick's Donuts I become weak.  It has become a tradition whenever we are in Utah, we make a special trip to Dick's to buy doughnuts and chocolate milk.



We went to Lagoon with the cousins.  Oh how much the kids' would say, "This is the best day ever!"  I enjoyed watching the cousins  share each others excitement and enthusiasm for all the rides.  I learned a lot about myself this trip- I am getting old and sometimes we do things for our kids because we want to be the best parents.  
Our group was split into an older kids group and then a younger kids group when we first got there.  We gathered together for lunch and then Derek and I stayed with the older kids until closing.  Derek and I would get sick after a ride (which I thought I would never be one of those parents) and so we would have the kids go on a couple of rides while we recovered.  This process happened throughout our time there and it was so worth it (even when I had a headache throughout the day and a ride hangover the next).
My favorite was seeing the kids laugh, talk, and enjoy there time together riding ALL the rides!  They ran from one ride to the next! I had this moment where I said to myself, "This is for the kids."  I have so many fond memories at Lagoon and watching my kids make their own is just as fun. 
I am telling you that during COVID is the time to go.  We went on so many rides with so little wait time.  We rode on almost all the rides and many multiple times.  









We went to the pioneer area and we saw the Little House on the Prairie homes, which is the book series we are reading about right now.  The girls were so excited because this is the type of house that Mary and Laura lived in.








Sawyer was so sweet and kind to Emmett.  He was just always giving him hugs.



This girl was tuckered out.




When we were at the cabin, I was thanking my mom for creating a wonderful place that we could gather together as a family and make so many fun memories in such a beautiful place.  When I go to the cabin, it is such a peaceful place and I am just in awe of the beauty, but also it is so much fun with all the activities that we do together like horseshoe, jumphouse, ATVs, skeeball, games, cards, crafts, paddleboards, kayaks, and mroe. Thanks Mom and Dad for letting us come to your cabin!
 




 

Love the chaos!



Our beautiful Sunday hike












Derek and Brinley went on the ATV and was having a great time.  While they were playing around, the ATV tipped over.  We are grateful that no one got seriously hurt.  Brinley did have a few straps on her arms and legs, but she was so brave.


Grandma taught the girls how to make a hate with the loop.  Ashlyn and Brinley really enjoyed it.



Cousin Evie got so spoiled with my girls always wanting to mother her.  She got lots of hugs, kisses, and attention!






Brinley and I were playing skeeball and she got 100 pts in one shot.  Way to go girl!



Family Pic






We had some serious card playing at this table.



Love the Bear Lake Beach








Shirt Making




Grandma did a candy scavenger hunt and Ashlyn was the last to find hers.  Can you see it?

 

We were lucky to see there great people!  I am so happy that we could get together.  We were sad that they weren't able to come out to Texas to see us in August, but this made up for it.  



If I could put a title to this picture it is Childhood.  Thanks Aunt Chris for being so fun and playful.



One of Ashlyn's favorite things in the whole world is to read with Grandpa.  It is fun to see this become their daily tradition.  Ashlyn loves to read, but it is a bonus to read it with Grandpa who also gets very excited about what they are reading.  They are currently reading the series Peter and the Star Catchers.  I am so very grateful for Scott and Ruth Ann reading to my girls everyday.  It has planted this love for books and reading and it also created a bond with my kids to their grandparents.  How lucky are they?!


How much more fun it is to make Nana Cookies with Nana!


Sweet Aunt Aubrey playing with the kids!



This was a highlight of mine, to see the kids play together with Aunt Maren and Trevor.  So fun!



Nana was so sweet and made Emmett and Ollie superhero caps.  No more tutus for Emmett (hopefully).


I am in awe every time we come back to Utah and see how Uncles and Aunts interact with our kids.  My kids seriously are the luckiest to have the greatest grandparents and extended family!!!









This is probably my favorite day with the Williams.  It was so fun to be at the beach with everyone.  It was fun to be all together, paddling on the paddle boards and kayaks, laughing, and talking on the beach.  It was beautiful and to be with great company.



Need entertainment?  Get a Smart fridge.



It has turned into a tradition where Maren will draw on the girls arms a fun drawing, well the favor was returned.  The girls did a great job drawing on Maren.



Sibling Love!


What a fun bunch!  We are so blessed to call y'all family!



Beautiful walk- Eden is so beautiful!



Claire's nail finally came off.  She slammed it in the door in Texas and it finally came off in Utah.



The girls loved spending time with their cousins!!!





At the end of the trip we went to a nearby park.  I was a little nervous because the playground was closed and the sprinklers turned on so we couldn't swing.  Then Ruth Ann got balls out and we started a big family ball fest.  It really is amazing how these simple moments can be so memorable.


I need to add videos from the trip another day.  Just wait for it......

I did want to share something that I have read and studied for the past few weeks that really impacted my trip this time to Utah.  I recently read the book The New Earth and it has been life changing for me.  There are many wonderful points in the book, but the two that pop out the most to me is Recognizing the Ego in yourself and Practicing being Present.  I reflected on what is the #1 thing that keeps me from being present and in the moment and it is my phone.  So before this trip I intentionally set boundaries with my phone and dedicated to really be present with family when I am with them and be there mentally, physically, and emotionally.  So I tried to keep my phone in my bedroom or away most of the time and it was so wonderful.  I left Utah feeling more present throughout the trip, more connected with family on individual levels, and I honestly feel like this was one of my most favorite trips to Utah because it.  I am trying to work on being more mindful and present in the moment and how amazing it is.  It is definitely a practice, but how grateful I am to learn and practice this skill now while I am fairly young.  The most important moment is the NOW!

My heart is so full of gratitude for our families!  We are truly so blessed to call you family!
Thanks for being who you are!


No comments:

Post a Comment