Sunday, June 1, 2014

My Religious Beliefs (Derek)

I had to write a paper assessing my culture and beliefs and after writing it, felt like I should share it. I hope that it is enjoyable to read and that people aren't offended by anything I've written. I'm not the typical American because I am a 26 year old that is married with 2 children. I'm also not the typical mormon in some ways because I am very open to new ideas and sometimes have a difficulty having faith.

"When I first read this title and learned I would be writing about cultural beliefs, I had several thoughts go through my mind. There are several different ways that I define myself. Here are a few: mormon, husband, father, mentor. But then the question comes to mind, which of these are cultural? I guess then the next question would be what is the definition of culture. There are several definitions I suppose. When I look them up in a dictionary here are some that I get:
  1. the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.
  2. that which is excellent in the arts, manners, etc.
  3. a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period
I think the one we are most interested in for this class is the last one but we could also include religion, gender, sexual orientation, and more. And it turns out that the way that I define myself more than others comes from my religious background.

I grew up in a home founded upon the principles taught by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS/Mormon). All of them were very good principles and I feel very grateful to my parents for the way that they raised me and the lessons that they taught me.

It is custom for the men (and women if they so choose), when they turn 18 or 19 to serve a two year mission for the Church. They are called (asked) to serve just about anywhere in the world. I was asked to go to Tulsa, Oklahoma and the surrounding areas in Arkansas, Kansas, and Missouri. I was excited to go. I really loved the Church and the principles that it taught me. I was happy. When I followed the principles I felt like I was doing the right thing. When I went to Church and learned the gospel, I felt such a joy and enlightenment. So anyway, I was excited to go to Oklahoma and share this source of joy in my life with others that I felt like it could help change their life.

Getting there was a big shocker to a 19 year old boy that had lived his whole life in Utah. I started talking to people and realized that there were a lot of people with different beliefs that seemed just as passionate as I was. I felt like how could I really be sure in what I believed if I hadn’t taken the time to consider all of the other religious beliefs out there. As I talked to more and more people I tried to have a very open mind. I felt like I did have an open mind but obviously I was biased because I was much more familiar and comfortable in the religion I had grown up in my whole life. But at the same time, what I was teaching people made more logical sense. There seemed to be unanswered (or badly answered) questions in other religions where Mormonism seemed to have an answer that made sense in my heart and in my mind. I became grateful for that.

My experience as a missionary for the LDS Church probably helped me to love people in every walk of life more than anything else I have experienced. I spent a lot of time in poor areas, where people smelled bad, had bad habits, and were dependent on others for a lot of their basic needs. I learned to love these people and to understand them.

This was key for me because it helped me to not fear people that I didn’t know but to try and understand their situation and why they acted the way they did. For example, if someone started yelling at me and was very upset, rather than being very upset myself I tried to think, “Why is this person so angry? What has happened in this persons life that has made them feel this way?” Taking this position has helped me in so many facets of life. This translates directly into the medical field. When people come into the clinic and are nervous I can think, “Why is this person so nervous? Have they had a bad experience before?” This allows me to give others the benefit of the doubt and to see how I can change my behavior to allow them to be more comfortable.

This applies in other areas of life as well. I recognize that everyone is raised differently. I realize that there are many different countries, beliefs, and principles that people experience and choose to embrace. I don’t have to agree with someone in order to be kind to them. One example is homosexuality. I believe that it is not the way that God intends for us to live. I believe in the family unit with a father and a mother. But that doesn’t mean that I should treat people who should choose this lifestyle any differently than friends that happen to have beliefs more in alignment with mine.

I choose not to drink alcohol partly due to my religious beliefs but that doesn’t mean that I look down on people that choose to drink. I understand that each person needs to take responsibility for their own actions and decide what they believe is the right thing to do. And I respect that right by not judging them for their decisions. I also hope that others will give me the same respect by not looking down on me for choosing not to drink. I know that some people feel uncomfortable being around a mormon because they feel like the mormon is judging them for the things they are doing differently. In my situation, I am probably more nervous that others are judging me for the way I choose to live my life.

The name of the church I belong to contains the name Jesus Christ. I am a Christian. I believe that if Jesus were on the earth right now he would teach others what he believed was the right way to live. But at the same time he would love those who chose not to listen to him or believe him. It was while he was dying on the cross, being crucified by people that he prayed FOR THEM, “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.” He went through that same process that I myself have but to an extreme selfless, loving level. He recognized that people had been raised or caused to believe incorrect things and to do wrong things. He condemned the sin, not the sinner.

I love people. I enjoy getting to know others and learning why they are they way they are. I hope that I can always keep an open mind in my life and to treat others with respect and kindness, no matter their choices.

If you have questions for me about my beliefs or how I choose to live, feel free to ask. Any of my friends would tell you I'm an open book and don't get up in arms when discussing religion, politics, etc.

Email me: derekswilliams88@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment